The First Look – SEC Championship

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by AuburnEinstein AuburnEinstein 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

This has probably been the best 3 week stretch in Auburn football history. Auburn is the first team in the College Football Playoff Era to knock off the number 1 team in the nation twice in the same month. Auburn didn’t just win those games either.Auburn was CLEARLY the best team on the field. In this first look post, I’m going to look at how Auburn has done in Championship games.

Don’t get me wrong, I still hate Georgia. You can read my First Look – Georgia post again. These two teams played on November 11th and this late in the season, team identities are established and you don’t typically change from what you’ve done all season. Georiga will surely have more wrinkles in their offense than when they last played (as will Auburn) but expect them to stick with running behind Chubb and Michel and keep their passing game conservative. I do expect their offensive line to step up and play much better because let’s face it – they can’t do worse than they did last time.

Auburn is 3 and 2 in SEC Championship games, but they’ve also won 3 in a row.

1997- 29-30 Loss vs Tennessee
    2000 – 6-28 Loss vs Florida
    2004 – 38-28 Win vs Tennessee
    2010 – 56-17 Win vs South Carolina
    2013 – 59-42 Win vs Missouri

With Gus Malzahn calling plays, Auburn has been unstoppable offensively in SEC Championship games. In 2010, Cam Newton could do no wrong, throwing for 335 and 4 touchdowns. Auburn dominated South Carolina in their second meeting of the season. Honestly, this game ended when Cam found Darvin Adams on a hail mary before the half.

2013 was the Tre Mason Show. Mason ran for 304 yards on 46 carries (6.6 yards per rush!!!!) and 4 touchdowns. This game was more back and forth than in 2010, but Auburn pulled away late because Tre Mason was a monster in this game.

Jason Campell shined in 2004 as Auburn played Tennesee for the second time that season. Campbell had 374 yards and 3 touchdowns with 1 interception. Ben Obomanu and Courtney Taylor both had 6 receptions and a touchdown, but Taylor had 111 yards to Ben’s 93.

@AuburnEinstein’s PREDICTION
    The first time these two teams played, I thought Auburn would win a close one (24-21) and I was pleasantly surprised when they dominated 40-17. Auburn has Georgia’s attention for this game. Georgia doesn’t want to be embarrassed again. However, it’s a conference championship game, if you can’t get up for a conference championship game, you don’t need to be playing football. With a spot in the playoffs on the line, this might as well be considered the CFP Quarterfinals. I think this game is close, but Auburn has enough wrinkles in their offense to pull away late. Auburn wins 24-17.

@AuburnEinstein

You must to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.

Login

Register | Lost your password?