The First Look – Mississippi State

by on in

I don’t know what it is about Mississippi State that brings the worst out, but Auburn struggles against the Bulldogs. Be it in 2008 win Auburn squeaked out a 3-2 victory

Or in 2014, with some bizarre calls by the officials.

I don’t know what it is, but this game is strange every year. While Auburn got on track last year and the offense could not be stopped, Auburn looks to continue a strong start in the conference this season.

SERIES RECAP
Since 2000, Auburn is 12-5 against the Bulldogs and 6-2 at home. Auburn averages 26.2 PPG on offense and only gives up 16.6 PPG on defense against Mississippi State. When this series is played at home, Auburn’s offense averages 28.3 PPG and gives up 17.6 PPG.

OFFENSE
Auburn’s offense struggles to get on track against Mississippi State. Since 2000, Auburn QBs only average 183.6 YPG with 19 TD and 11 INTs. Stidham has got to get in a rhythm early. As far as running backs go, Auburn RBs have only averaged 90.9 YPG but also have 21 TDs. Kamryn Pettway torched the Bulldog defense last season to the tune of 169 yards and 3 touchdowns on 39 carries. Hopefully, we can see KJ and Pettway in the backfield in the game.

DEFENSE
What can be said about the defense that hasn’t been said by every talking head? not much, really. The secondary is playing well lead by Tray Matthews and Carlton Davis. The linebackers continue to shut offenses down and the D-line continues to scare defensive coordinators.

@AuburnEinstein‘s PREDICTION
I think this is a defensive battle and I think it is a nail-biter. I do believe Auburn is better up and down the roster, but that means nothing on the field. I think Stidham has found his rhythm and that has shown over the last 2 weeks. The only thing that Stidham needs to do is work on putting the ball in the end-zone. The line is gelling and giving him the time he needs and his receivers are doing a better job getting open. I think Auburn wins this one 14-10.