Samir Doughty and Chuma Okeke Quotes

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Auburn Einstein Auburn Einstein 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Samir Doughty, G, Jr.

On if J’Von McCormick’s performance was a surprise…

“We knew he had the ability. This whole summer, he’s been able to get to the rim, find [open] guys and finish at the rim. We knew that wasn’t anything new. [NC State] couldn’t stay in front of him, so he was successful that game.”

On Murray State…

“This is going to be a good game. Murray State in an NCAA Tournament team. We know they have good guard play and have a guard that could potentially be in the NBA. They’re a good program. They’ve lost one game, so we’re coming into this game expecting it to be a dog fight. We’re hungry and we just lost. This should be a good game. We want to play good competition every night so we can expose certain things and get better. We just want to grow and get better as a team.

On Bryce Brown’s recent struggles…

“Bryce is in the gym every day. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with his confidence. Players have bad games and is just happens that he’s one of our better players that hasn’t been playing well, but he still does other good things for our team. He still is one of our best defenders. He still is a leader on the court. Despite him not making shots right now, he’s effective in other ways. We’re not worrying about his last two games. We still think every shot Bryce takes is going in and we’re going to continue thinking that every time he shoots the ball.”

On Chuma Okeke…

“He just knows how to play basketball the right way. I know Coach Pearl wants him to be more aggressive – I want him to be aggressive and our teammates want him to be aggressive – but, he just knows how to play basketball the right way. If he sees someone open, he’s going to pass it. If he thinks he can score and be aggressive, he’s going to take those shots. That’s just how he plays basketball.”

On what he wants Chuma Okeke to do when he has the ball in the post…

“I want him to shoot the ball. I think every shot that Chuma takes, it’s going to go in. If I see him posting up and he’s open, I’m going to pass him the ball because I think he’s going to score that basket. If he also sees someone open, he’s going to make the right play and pass to his teammates because he has trust in his teammates that they’re going to make the right play.”

On conditioning…

“It’s not a problem because we play nine or 10 players. We know when certain guys are coming in, so we just play as hard as we can for stretches throughout the game because we know how the rotations are. We know when certain players are getting subbed out. Just play as hard as you can play because you know the next person coming in is going to play just as hard as you.”

Chuma Okeke, F, So.

On message in the locker room after NC State game…

“We just have to come in and play hard. We knew coming into the game that was a really good team and they get up the court really fast. We just have to focus on keeping our man in front of us and playing good 1-on-1 defense.”

On if playing another good team after a loss helps…

“I think it does. We’re going to come in [to Auburn Arena] Saturday afternoon and play harder. Coming off a loss like that, there’s nothing we can do. We’ve just got to out there and play harder and try to keep our man in front of us. They have a really good team. They have a really good point guard, too.”

On what he remembers from the game last year…

“I remember it was a really good game. It was a dog fight. [Murray State] had a good crowd. It was a really close game, back-and-forth. I feel like it’s going to be the same way this game, going to come down to the last few minutes of the game. Whichever team plays smarter and plays harder, that’s the team that’s going to win.”

On his aggression…

“I try to come out every game and try to play aggressive, but if I see an open teammate, I’m going to pass. I’m not going to try to force anything.”

On knowing when to be aggressive…

“I still have to try to find that aggressiveness on the court. My teammates have been telling me that I could be more aggressive, but it’s just a habit. When I see an open man, I’m going to pass it.”

@AuburnEinstein

You must to reply to this topic.

Login

Register | Lost your password?