Miss. State

This topic contains 19 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  ImALegendKiller 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    jheathj
    jheathj

Outlook, predictions, comments…
    Auburn opens as a 6 point favorite.
    Game televised on ESPN 2

jmjonesjr
    Participant

I don’t have a score yet, but I want this one bad. #2 on the “i want to kill these guys” list this year. Behind the obvious one, and just barely ahead of Arkansas.

jheathj
      jheathj

After being at the Miss State game last year and witnessing the meltdown first hand, I would have to agree with you this is a much needed win. The improvement from week one to week two was substantial IMO and if we can keep going in the right direction I think we roll past Miss State.

THIS. We should never be losing to the dawgs… and I’ll never forgive Mullen for what he did to Cam.
      But I told Malzhan at the Alumni gathering that he owed us for the 2006 loss to the hawgs. I don’t like ARK because they seem to have our # and that has to stop. There will NEVER be less hate for the updykes ~ that goes without saying….

Fearless and True. Fight on You Orange and Blue.

auburnwarvet

I expect to see more improvements this week and more wrinkles added into the scheme…I dont know if Dee Ford will be back but I think Justin Garett maybe. The questions mark for me is Moo States QB. Will he be back from his concussion? I dont know but either way I say Auburn wont have as many mistakes this week and I think they will win somewhere around 35-10.

"May God have mercy upon my enemies because I won't"

jasonw754
    Participant

I’m wondering what the effect of Kris Frost’s ejection for the first half is going to be. Our defense has shown a lot of bend-but-don’t-break and I’m nervous about seeing that tip towards allowing a few too many big plays in the first half.

I think this new rule is going to become huge in a few weeks when we start getting to the uglier SEC match-ups.

jaxau90
    Participant

I am terrified about our defense. Maybe not this week. But LSU may kill us.

wluker17
    wluker17
    Participant

I’m hoping that we open up the pass a little more and catch the pups off guard. Hopefully Nick can hit on the open receivers that he’s missed the first two games.

Barn so hard

jshaunAU2006

I really liked what I saw at the end of the Arkansas State game, when we finally picked up the pace. I was very disappointed in the pace of the WSU game & 1st half of ASU. I hope we open up at Mississippi State with that pace. If we do, we should be OK.

TheOutlaw

I think Gus is just being very calculated with the pace and playbook at this point. As the competition gets tougher, I expect Gus to unleash both the offense and defense. It seems like we are playing a little soft on defense until the opposition gets around the 30. I think I heard Stan White say the other night that we really haven’t blitzed much at all thus far. Same with the offense. We haven’t used the tight ends much at all and haven’t really run the offense at a rapid pace. I expect to see more of that this week, depending on how the game goes. If we are controlling the game, I wouldn’t be surprised to see more of the same and save a little for LSU.

aujewel
        Participant

Believe Gus starting slowly, picking up speed, helps the coaches to better evaluate the players and helps the players play it slow first and increase speed as the season progresses. We are fortunate our schedule started with the teams we have.

JR Marcus
        JR Marcus

I think we were getting such good penetration up front last game that there was really no need to blitz…i think we’ll see more blitz packages this game…especially if everyone is back healthy

WDQ

I think this is Gus’s statement game and Mullen’s hot seat game. We see more passing offense Saturday than we’ve seen in the previous 2 games combined. Granted, that still isn’t a ton, but when we pile up 600+ yds split more or less evenly, it will register on everybody’s radar. I think we go over 40 and keep them under 20. I think Gus has had this one circled since he took the job.

JR Marcus
      JR Marcus

Talking to miss st fans, it would take a lot for them to fire Mullens…he has had a decent record and led them to consecutive bowl games…it’s like they understand they are miss st and it’s a process

AUChief
    AUChief

BOLD PREDICTION: We keep them out of of the endzone. I’m not sure why there is a sense of worry about the defense. The push we are getting upfront is crazy good and I daresay the depth we have with the front 4 is some of the best in the conference. Linebacker play is questionable at times, but it’s not terrible. I know we’ve all learned to worry about defense over the last 4 years, but I for one feel really good about the D. More than anything, this whole team is playing with more fire than any team we’ve seen in quite some time.

Auburn makes a statement and we jump into the rankings.

WDQ

“I know we’ve all learned to worry about defense over the last 4 years”

Well said. Gonna take awhile for the scars to heal. Fortunately, it looks like it’s not taking as long for the players as it’s taking for us fans.

rbrigby
    rbrigby

I want us to beat the bullpups badly! Last year was embarrasing and we had more talant than what we showed. I think we play well, Marshall hits some passes, our run games does what it does, and our DLine puts pressure on the pups QBs and we win convincingly.

LBs have to step up. We have the potential for this to be a pretty good team, but we have not proven it yet. I think we can win even playing mediocre D though. The 3 headed monster is going to be tough to deal with this season.

I’m hoping for continued improvement on both sides of the ball. I know some folks are worried about all the yards our defense has given up, but the performance Saturday Night was the first time in a long time that I felt like our D was playing “Auburn Defense”. I loved seeing us swarm to the ball and the line started wreaking havoc in the backfield. I’ve found myself watching our guys play defense on the replay like I used to! Still a lot of work to do, but I’m happy to see that Coach Garner is getting the line going. The corners are looking good as well. Frost was on his way to a break out game before the ejection and the others filled in admirably enough in his absence.

As for the offense: I feel like we’ve been holding back. Maybe that’s not the right word, but we’re not seeing the pace we should expect. Whether that’s due to letting the guys get their feet wet or an inability to perform at that level I don’t know. Watching Gus talk after the game on the football review I almost feel like they know they’ve got some surprises in store for opponents. Wish it was Saturday!

WarDamnJoe

Dang. Wanted to be 1st to post on the board. You beat me to it Heath. I think we win big. State was not impressive at all against OkSt and I think our running game and much improved defense tilts the scales way in our favor. AU 31 MSU 21

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by  WarDamnJoe.

You must to reply to this topic.

Login

Register | Lost your password?