Justin Hokanson’s thoughts on the 2014 class (Read This)

by on in

Justin Hokanson of AuburnSports.com posted this on The Bunker today. I’m posting here with his permission. It’s good stuff.

Enough is enough, let’s go with this…

Take a lesson from Gus Malzahn and focus on the players that actually signed with Auburn, not the ones that didn’t.

I wish Tre Williams got half the praise the last two days that discussion about Rashaan Evans received. You combine immense talent, personality and unmatched leadership qualities, and there isn’t a better recruit in the country than Williams, I promise you that.

Talk about Roc Thomas getting ALL kinds of pressure to visit Alabama and telling them, “no thanks.”

Talk about Deshaun Davis getting a call from new Georgia defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt the night before signing day wondering if he’s still solid, and Davis ending that conversation in a hurry.

And you want to talk about in-state? Marlon Humphrey and Bo Scarbrough weren’t going anywhere other than Alabama. Humphrey was a legacy and Scarbrough was from Tuscaloosa. That leaves nine of the top 11 that were up for grabs.

Auburn signed five of those nine and flat declined to accept the re-commitment of another. Auburn recruited hard and did an outstanding job in-state.

Talk about Kamryn Pettway flipping from Florida State and never looking back.

Talk about Stephen Roberts and Kalvaraz Bessent flipping from Alabama and never returning to visit Tuscaloosa.

Talk about arguably the best player in the nation, regardless of high school or JUCO, already being on campus and enrolled in D’haquille Williams. Tim Horton told me last night, “this kid is special.” And you already know how Dameyune Craig feels about him.

Talk about having two Auburn legacies in this class in Dontavius Russell and Myron Burton. That’s to be celebrated.

There is so much positivity in this recruiting class to relish in, that giving anyone that didn’t sign with Auburn any notoriety at this point isn’t fair to the kids that never wavered.

I’ll leave you with this. If there is one overwhelming trait that the Auburn coaches look for in a prospect, it’s this: does the kid truly fit in at Auburn and does he truly want to be at Auburn?

If a kid decides that Auburn isn’t for him, then the coaches response is, “then he isn’t for Auburn.” One Auburn coach told me after Evans’ decision, “we got the right ones and the ones that wanted to be here.”

Link to original post: http://bit.ly/1bzj3YA