Bruce Pearl Press Conference: Auburn Pro Day

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  The WarBlogler 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

The WarBlogler
    Keymaster

Quotes from Auburn Pro Day
    Head coach Bruce Pearl

Opening statement…
    “I thought the effort was good. The execution is something to be desired. Typically, when you’re playing best-on-best, it’s hard to score. I thought that it was great to have such great representation.”

On who stood out…
    “I thought Anfernee [McLemore] had a great day. He shot the ball and he protected the rim. It was great. I thought Bryce [Brown] does what Bryce does. I thought Jared [Harper] does what Jared does. Samir Doughty doesn’t lose. He just goes through the workouts. When you look at the end of the day at whose team won, Samir’s team won. For me, I’ll walk away for those guys that didn’t play great, I’ll put it on myself and think ‘what am I doing wrong and how am I not getting them comfortable?’. That’s how I’ll approach it.”

On Samir Doughty…
    “So, you notice the fact that he’s vocal and a great teammate. Does that translate into why his teams win? I don’t know. He’s a real competitive kid. He understands he needs to empower others. He’s an anxious learner. For me as a coach, I know he needs to be on the floor. I don’t know where or what position, but he needs to be out there.”

On the defense…
    “It was better. You can see we really emphasized it in the beginning and we really emphasized it in our drill work. We’re having a good week. Can we build on it and what’s tomorrow going to be like? Are we done because we had a good pro day? I’m going to be anxious to see what tomorrow is like. We have the pieces to be a good team. It’s on me to get them there.”

On what it means to him for the turnout of Pro Day…
    “If there wasn’t weather problems, we would’ve had 28. I’m grateful to these guys for coming. My staff did a really good job of making the connections. Having Marquis [Daniels] and Ira, who spent time in the NBA. We have relationships. We try to make it convenient for these guys. They’ll be back. It’s like I said before, when our business school hosts a job fair and the big four show up to hire our accountants because we produce great accountants at Auburn, that’s what we’re trying to do here. These are the scouts and these are the guys who have the say at the highest level.”

On how to prepare the guys for Pro Day…
    “We just had a normal practice. We just want them to come in and see what we do. Whether it was for good, bad or ugly, they got to see what we do.”

On Anfernee McLemore…
    “Anfernee [McLemore] is a tough cover. He played very well, and he can defend. Anfernee is a really disciplined and hard-worker. He made a lot of progress just today, and I’m a fan.”

On Danjel Purifoy…
    “I think Danjel [Purifoy] has always been a dead-eye shooter. Danjel is really coachable. You can see what a dimension he is out there.”

Bryce Brown, G, Sr.

On what it was like having all of the NBA teams out there…
    “It was good. It just goes to show. My first two years we didn’t have a ‘Pro Day’, so it’s a good feeling being out here in front of a lot of scouts and people.”

On the team’s performance…
    “We did really good. We could’ve executed a little better. The defense was definitely there. I look forward to build on that.”

On the struggles defensively…
    “A couple of new faces [is the biggest challenge]. We need to get the guys used to the defense that we play. That’s really what I see. The effort could be better. Today was really good, but the effort has been lacking lately. For the most part, we’re headed in the right direction.”

On what Samir Doughty brings to the team…
    “He does it all. His main aspect to the game is finding his teammates. He does that a lot better than most point guards. He can do that from the wing spot, the point guard spot and the three-point spot. He brings a lot of versatility to our team.”

On his three-point shot…
    “It feels really good. Always. I feel like I’m going to make it every time. It might go otherwise sometimes, but I feel like I’m going to make it every time.”

On who would take it all in a three-point contest…
    “You know the answer.”

On who would win in a dunk contest…
    “It would be between Anfernee [McLemore] and Malik [Dunbar].”

On the biggest difference in this year’s team…
    “We can be a much faster team. The guards that we’ve brought in are really fast. Like Samir [Doughty] and J’Von [McCormick]. They’re very fast guards. Samir can play the three. That will make us very versatile. J’Von’s a very fast and quick guard. I feel as a team, we’ve all gotten faster. Austin [Wiley] has definitely gotten faster.”

On Austin Wiley…
    “Another addition to the team, would be that we have Austin [Wiley] back. Anfernee [McLemore] and Horace [Spencer] held it down last year, but Austin will be a bigger and physical print. That’ll be a go-to this year.”

On the team chemistry…
    “I feel like ever since the new guys got here, they’ve fit in really well. The coaches have done a great job of recruiting really good guys that fit in really well. We do a lot of stuff off of the court that brings us together. We’ve clicked since day one.”

On what he wanted to show the scouts today heading into his senior season…
    “I wanted to show them that I’ve improved in every area this off season. I’ve tried to improve in my shot, my ball handling and my athleticism. I’m trying to be a better pick-and-roll ball handler. I want to be able to find guys better. My vision too. That’s what I wantedp to stand out today. I want to be a better all-around player.”

Anfernee McLemore, F, Jr.

On his performance…
    “I think I played pretty well. I was trying to make the shots that I had and give my teammates open looks. I think I played efficiently today.”

On the comeback from his injury…
    “I feel like I’m one hundred percent physically. The main part is just getting that confidence back. I need to believe that I’ll be able to do everything that I used to do. That’s an everyday process just trusting it more and more and being able to put all of my weight when jumping like I used to.”

On the team chemistry…
    “We’re bonding really well. We’re at a really good point this year where we’ve all bought in our common objective. Now all we need to work on is being more precise on defense and ironing out the kinks before the season comes.”

On why the players requested to have the roles defined early…
    “Just so that we can get better earlier, so that when we’re in season we aren’t trying to figure everything out. If we have our roles defined earlier everyone can go to their strengths and do what they’re comfortable doing.”

On Austin Wiley and him being at the five…
    “It’s like a one-two punch. Austin [Wiley] has a different playing style. He’s more around the rim, so when I come in I’m going to be a different kind of threat.”

On his outside shot…
    “The more shots I get up, the more confident I get. It’ll just get better with time.”

On getting more comfortable before the season starts with the comeback from the injury…
    “It’s just the confidence. Right now, sometimes in the back of my mind when I’m going up for a rebound it’s a blur. I just have to push all of those thoughts out of my head.”

On the biggest thing he’s learned from being on the sideline…
    “How communication can help the team. Once we were down a player last year, we kind of stopped communicating on the court. It led to a lot of different things, like some of our losses. I learned to be more of a vocal teammate to bring the team together. I want that to be a center focus, so I can bring the team together more on the court.”

On the biggest challenge they have defensively…
    “I think our biggest challenge is that we play so fast, so our players get tired. When you get tired, you stop talking. Once we get more conditioned we’ll be able to talk more on the court.”

Auburn grad (B.S. in C.S., 2004), loving husband, and semi-new dad that believes Auburn should and could go undefeated in every sport, every year.

You must to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.

Login

Register | Lost your password?