Auburn Coach Gus Malzahn A-Day comments

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Auburn Einstein Auburn Einstein 2 months ago.

• Author

Opening statement…
    “First of all, our alumni game. I got a chance to watch a little bit of that; I think it was real successful. The guys had a good time. I really appreciate them being a part of that. As far as the game goes, probably the positive was I think all four quarterbacks made some explosive plays. I thought that was good. We had a couple of touchdowns to go with it. Overall, that was practice 15. I feel really good about what we’ve accomplished during that time. We went into this game with a plan for the quarterbacks to play like it was. All of them did some good things. What we’ll do next week is we’ll be able to assess the 15 days of practice as a whole and we’ll look at it from there and hopefully we’ll get some kind of order with our quarterbacks after spring. Overall, I thought defense had a very good spring. I thought the offense did, too. We talked about trying to get some depth and trying to get some of those younger guys to step up and I really feel like we accomplished those goals.”

On efficient offensive execution in the first half…
    “Yeah it was, we protected the football and had nice execution in the first half. It got a little sloppy in the second half with a lot of guys playing. Overall, there were some good things on both sides of the football.”

On Bo Nix’s progress during spring…
    “He has improved a lot but that’s to be expected. He’s a true freshman who still should be in high school. It’s been good for him to get used to the speed and difference in play from high school to college.”

On Joey Gatewood’s increased confidence…
    “He’s a different quarterback than he was last year. He has a lot more confidence and is really focused and has been desperate to win the quarterback job. He’s had a really good spring, and he made some explosive plays today. When you let him go live, he looks a little bit different, too.”

On Seth Williams and Matthew Hill emerging at wide receiver…
    “It was really good seeing Seth Williams make some plays. And Matthew Hill — we had really high expectations for him when we recruited him, so it was really good to see him make some plays in front of the crowd today. He’s also had a really good spring. He’s a guy who has the chance to make big plays. He made a great catch going over his shoulder on that first one and then on the tunnel screen, you can see the acceleration he has.”

On Derrick Brown’s performance…
    “He’s an impact player. He’s got a lot of big-game experience and he’s one of the best players in our league.”

On K.J. Britt stepping up at linebacker…
    “It feels like the guys have just stepped in and haven’t missed a beat. I think overall, they’ve had a very good spring and K.J. Britt has been leading that group and has really taken over for Deshaun Davis. It’s his moment and he’s been waiting for this moment. He is really physical and has really improved.”

@AuburnEinstein

You must to reply to this topic.

Login

Register | Lost your password?